Thursday, August 23, 2007

Mrs Beeton R.I.P.

As a little project after the big one I just completed I decided on a pair of wristwarmers, namely Mrs Beeton. I've had the pattern and the intention for ages and found some palest pink Blue Skies alpaca and silk and some cream Kidsilk haze in my stash. I knitted a frill in each yarn......then came the moment to join them together. Now I can knit 2 lots of stitches together from straight needles up there with the best of them, but putting one lot of dpn's inside the other and knitting one stitch from each in the round on super slippy aluminiums! Well all the stitches fell off one of the needles and I decided to join Rosemary's johnny in his aluminium allergy and here is the sad resulting pile

Then I cast on for some 'Wine and Roses' fingerless mitts from Interweave Knits. It's a pretty pattern and I am using some wool in shades of pink which I got in Fyberspates Sock Cub and seems an appropriate colourway for the name. Unfortunately I seem to have a touch of chart-blindness. I have knitted up as far as the thumb gusset 4 times. First I made a hash of a row of pebble stitch, then I made a different hash of the same perfectly easy stitch, then I realised my stitch count was wrong and just couldn't figure out why until I checked the chart for the very first few rows and realised I had missed a decrease row!~£*$&*/ Now I am into the hand section at last but have gone wrong somehow with the very simple lace stitch so have abandoned it for a short break. Some patterns take me like this. I don't know why. I remember starting the Mason Dixon wash cloth about 5 times before I got it right. I've knitted several of them since though so I hope I will crack this stupid mitt enough to at least do the pair.

Sleeping Princess



Yesterday we went to see The Tweenies at the Royal Concert Hall. The show was great but the merchandise!!!! What a rip-off. The prices were ridiculous. I know it was my fault for getting carried away with the moment but I paid £9.00 for a 'Tweeny clock' spinning light thing. Okay it added a lot to Millie's enjoyment of the show, nearly all the children seemed to have one or something similar and it was great seeing all the coloured lights in the darkness but as soon as we left the theatre the wretched light stopped working. It still spins but it looks like the bulb has gone or something. The ridiculous thing is I had refused earlier to buy a Sylvanian families toy for £5.95 saying 'That's too expensive for today.'

No comments: