Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bank Holidays Rock

I love it that we who work in Nottingham City libraries still get an extra day off at Bank holidays. They keep saying it's going to change and the day will be added to our annual leave which would be okay but it's kind of nice to have to take a day off.
On Sunday we went to Trent Lock to have a birthday lunch for Rosemary. It's a lovely place, barely half an hour away and I haven't been since I was a child. I don't know why it sort of disappeared from my consciousness.
Monday was the day Millie and I were looking forward to as it was Moorgreen Show The weather was lovely and the show even better than last year. This is an overlooked occasion. I have lived all my life within a few miles of the site and only actually went to it last year. With hindsight it may be that no-one was willing to accompany me before Millie. Well there were rides and Tombolas... observe Millie and her prize leopard on an AA rescue truck.


The animals were restricted because of the foot and mouth problem but the Shire horses walked proudly in their rig outs

There were lots of craftspeople to watch, a flint napper, wood turners, basket weavers, glassblowers and a knitting and spinning guild with the knitted farm that fascinated Millie last year. We watched a re-enactment about Robin Hood and had a crisis about whether we dare ride a donkey or not (no). I got a free cotton bag by pledging to take the bus to work once a week (Mmmmm) Millie tasted local honey (3 sorts) and decided she does like it after all, well, as the woman on the stall said, it's quite different from supermarket stuff. Then a final doughnut


and home to collapse in front of Ceebeebies until poor Mummy, who doesn't even get one Bank holiday day off from work, got back. We have already made a date to go next year!
So today was my extra day off and leaving the weeds in the garden and the dust on the shelves James and I spent the afternoon in Bakewell just pottering around, watching the ducks on the river that runs through the town

and enjoying coffee and cakes in the Old Bakewell Pudding Shop
Perfect!

No comments: