Thursday, February 5, 2009

Snow business

Well it is no longer news that there is a bit of snow around here - rather more than we are used to so no one is prepared. It started round here on Sunday and by Monday it was pretty bad. Luckily it was my day off and I only went out to feed the birds.



By Tuesday the snow had stopped and the roads were clear but I went to work on the bus because I was worried in case the local roads got bad again. I went to get my wellies from the garage - wondered why one was a bit heavier and found it held 3" of water! Dragged out my fake walking boots which I think I've had since the days of the Easter Hikes we used to go on from church about 15 years ago when it was guaranteed to rain or snow. I left by the front door and found I couldn't open the gate. Left by the back door and garage. Of course I had missed / not even tried for the 7.30 bus and the next one doesn't leave until 5 past 8. It's supposed to get into Nottingham at 5 to 9 so I knew I'd be a bit late so I rang in to say I'd be there by 9 (I start at 8.45) In the event it was more like 9.15 and I walked right into the middle of a ground floor staff meeting so no sneaking in there. Back before I left Heanor - half way onto the market place aka skating rink I thought 'what's that stuck on my heel' but on checking I found the sole of my boot was off from the heel to the ball of my foot!! I had some shoes with me but I knew they wouldn't cope with the snow so I had to sluther the rest of the way to the bus stop and hope and hope the pavements were clear in Nottingham - which they were. I managed to get the sole re-stuck in the shop across from the library and he only charged £1.00 for the charity box which I thought was brilliant- I had been worried about walking back from the bus as I knew I wouldn't get back until 8pm. I mostly walked on the roads though. I only saw 2 cars so I was quite safe.
P.S. Yes, that is me in the photo

1 comment:

Janiannie said...

You crack me up...still laughing at the thought of you skating to work!

Guessed that was you in the pic but could easily have been Millie, only the ancient state of the photo gave it away!x