Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Bobbi's questions

Our Secret Pal hostess has posed some holiday questions; 1) What do you pack to knit? and 2) What do you hope to shop for?
Our spring holiday was in Yorkshire, a great county for wool. We made a pilgrimage to Dent of the 'terrible knitters' fame. This is an isolated village where the whole population (including quite young children knitted like crazy to produce stockings for the market at sedburgh. There is a small section in the heritage centre devoted to these industrious people, including songsheets, knitting sheaths and models. On the way we discovered;
Jenny Scott's Beckside Studio, a lovely yarn store in the little village of Clapham.
There I bought some local wool from local sheep.
We also visited (twice) Coldspring Mill where there was major stash enhancement.
To answer the first question, I took to knit a) Rosemary's grey cardigan
b) Isabel's socks to finish
(oo-er they've gone green!)
and c) my Brioche rib socks
The last week in June we are all off to the Lake District, another sheepy county. This is planned so that Isabel and I can go to WOOLFEST Yay! We went last year and had the best time. I bought lots of bits and pieces, especially felt-making stuff and look forward to doing the same this year. I have no specific plans I'll just see what takes my fancy but I am sure it will include lots of tops. We had a go at spinning and Isabel was coveting a wheel. We went in a yurt but we weren't so keen on acquiring about one of those, although when we were in Clapham we overheard a couple in very late middle age saying they were living in one. This year the Fest falls on Isabel's birthday and Rosemary was sympathising that she had to spend the day thus until she remembered that Isabel isn't just going to look after poor old Mum, but actually really loves it too! It obviously isn't Rosemary's idea of a good time (where did I go wrong with that one)
We are renting a bungalow in the South Lakes area and there will be me and James, Rosemary and her boyfriend, Johnny, Millie and Isabel. Sadly Isabel's James doesn't get enough time off work to come with us this time so he is staying at home with the rabbits.

(Bonus: Where would you go on a "knitting holiday"?)
There are so many options here. I'd love to visit some of the yarn stores in New York or in Toronto, I'd like to hear the Yarn Harlot speak, or visit Di Gilpin's Studio to take a workshop with her. I have read lots of itineraries for knitting holidays, even Skip North or a weekend course at Rowan would be great.How about a knitting cruise with speakers to be decided by me and free yarn for all. Unfortunately circumstances don't allow for any of these but it's fun to imagine and I have my felt-making workshop at Rufford to look forward to in just 2 weeks time.

1 comment: